|
Volume One - Into the Victorian Age - Some newspaper reports from the 1870's the other is intended for captains of vessels, or tradesmen of Penarth, who will pay a small annual subscription, the subscription from the captains being fixed at 1s. (5p) for the period while the vessel remains fixed in the port. The upper room, which is 40 feet by 20, will be used by the chaplain at the Penarth station in connection with the Missions to Seamen, and Divine services will be held in it for the seamen in the Dock on sundays and also on week evenings. It is intended that the building shall fill the same position at Penarth as the Thisbe Mission Ship at Cardiff. Attached to it are apartments for the manager, who will also supply refreshments at a reasonable charge to seamen and captains. The cost of the building, which was erected by Mr Tape, builder, Penarth, is about £800, including furniture and fittings, which are of a rather handsome character. The cost of the building would have considerably greater, but for the large contributions of materials, etc., from local merchants. The Taff Vale Railway Company gave the site, which is near the swing bridge over the basin. The timber merchants supplied the timber free of charge. The Cogan Brick and Tile Company gave the tiles, and Mr G. C. Harris, architect, prepared the plans, also free of charge. From others, likewise, were received contributions of materials, and the remaining cost has been provided by local shipowners, coal merchants, and others who reside at Penarth or have transactions relating to the ships at the docks. The building will be opened by Lord Windsor on Saturday week. The Bishop of Llandaff would have been present, but his lordship has been called to London, and will not be back in time. Lord Windsor, it is believed, to be accompanied by his mother, Lady Mary Clive, and his three sisters, who are staying at st Fagans Castle. Col. Clive, Lord Windsor's uncle, will, it is expected, be present and the Dean of Llandaff will attend in place of the bishop. After the ceremony the inhabitants intend inviting Lord Windsor to a luncheon to be provided in an adjoining building." Cardiff Times [019] 12th October 1878. The rooms were opened later that same month. Some interesting items of information come from the preceding report since the bridge at the basin crossing is referred too as a swing bridge. This was later changed to a retractable bridge, I believe. Also, the Mission to Seamen had the Thisbe mission ship moored "at the bottom" of the East Dock at Cardiff for some 20 years by this date according to the Cardiff Times! There they had a chapel for seating a congregation of 250 and reading rooms and they sought "to provide the whole of the men and boys engaged in the mercantile marine with religious and moral instruction, while at sea or on shore." |
|||
| Introduction | |||
| Contents | |||
| Search this site | |||
| Contributions | |||
| Links | |||
| Recent Updates | |||
|
|||
| | volume 01 | chapter 15 | page 380 | << previous page << | index to volume one | >> next page >> | | |||