Penarth Dock, South Wales - 150 years - the heritage and legacy  
Penarth Dock, South Wales - the heritage & legacy . . .

Volume One - Into the Victorian Age - Penarth Dock and Ely Tidal Harbour - 1890's . .

1890's - Penarth Dock, negative.
Penarth Dock, negative
Penarth Dock, negative

• 1890's - Penarth Dock, negative - A black and white film negative showing a general view looking over Penarth Dock.

This photograph is taken from a viewpoint above the Barry Railway Company's line, which was opened to traffic between Barry Dock and Cogan during December 1888. The Penarth Dock was extended by some 270 yards and the first water entered the new section in December 1883 and was finally opened to shipping during April 1884. The TVR engine shed to the right of the photo was built during 1887 and the pumping engine house had centrifugal pumps and boilers installed during 1890-01.

The National Museum of Wales dates this photograph as 1880's but clearly it is after 1890 and prior to the construction of four large steel coal tips at the north quay of the basin which commenced in 1899. The original negative is held within the archives of the National Museum of Wales. [629] [Museum item number : 88.44I/19] [20200229]

© 2014 - 2020 - penarth-dock.org.uk - all rights reserved - web design by Dai the Rat