Penarth Dock, South Wales - 150 years - the heritage and legacy  
Penarth Dock, South Wales - the heritage & legacy . . .

Volume Two - The Era of Optimism, Investment & Development - Developments at the turn of the 20th century . .

s.s. 'Abonema' loaded and ready to sail alongside Nos. 19 and 20 coal tips during December 1909.

1907-08 - s.s. 'Abonema' was owned by Elder Dempster & Company Limited having been completed during July 1907 at the yard of Irvine’s Shipbuilding & Dry Docks Company Limited at Hartlepool.

She is loaded with coal and ready to cast-off from her berth alongside Nos. 19 and 20 coal tips. Another heritage postcard from the Penarth Dock Collection. [001]

The vessel was built in 1907 and was of 2,982 gross and 1,865 net register tons. In 1909 she was renamed 'Sapele' and was sold to Argentinean owners during 1920, who renamed her 'San George' or 'San Jorge'. She was 324.7 ft. long x 45.9 breath x 22.7 ft. deep. [840]

 During 1941, 'Abonema'  was again renamed 'Kitty's Brook' upon her sale to Bowater's Newfoundland Pulp & Paper Mills Limited.
During 1941, she was again renamed 'Kitty's Brook' upon her sale to Bowater's Newfoundland Pulp & Paper Mills Limited but in May 1942 she was torpedoed and sunk by U-588 off the coast of Nova Scotia. The ship was on a voyage from New York to the American Naval Base at Argentia, Newfoundland, with a cargo of Government stores. Nine crew were lost. Master - Jack Rowland Moreby. Lives lost: Anderson, E. L., ordinary seaman; Anderson, William Henry, able seaman, 22; Carter, George W, able seaman, 29; Crocker, George Charles, 3rd engineer officer, 41; Osmond, William, fireman; White, Herbert William, fireman, 27; Whiteway, John, donkeyman; Woods, Ignatius, assistant steward; (All from Canada) West, William James, chief officer, 34, Plumstead, London. [840]
© 2014 - 2020 - penarth-dock.org.uk - all rights reserved - web design by Dai the Rat