Penarth Dock, South Wales - 150 years - the heritage and legacy  
Penarth Dock, South Wales - the heritage & legacy . . .

Volume Six - Pre-Victorian to the Present Day - Select Aspects - Growth and development at Cogan . .

1900 map Cogan, Penarth

The 1900 OS map showing the development of the area. The dock is extended and the Barry Railway has its station at Cogan. Pill Street is named and is complete with a school. The houses of Dock Street, Hewell, Harriet and Agnes Streets are complete. Note the extent of the former brick ponds and low lying ground behind Pill Street. The Cogan Pill brickworks has been demolished and a new brickworks has been opened off Bridge Street close to the quarry. [010]

 
General View of Cogan - c.1900.
General View of Cogan - A view taken from the high-ground above Cogan Pill. The Barry Railway may be seen crossing the scene and distant right is the school where Julie went to school and her Mum was a cook! In the field between the houses of Cogan and the railway, the remains of the former brick ponds from the original Cogan Brick Works are clear and seem to be identical in shape and extent to those shown on the 1900 OS map above. The chimney of the new Brick Works is also clear. So, we can reliably date this photograph to around the turn of the twentieth century. Another heritage photograph posted on that great website, Old Cardiff Photos [770] [002] [20200227]
© 2014 - 2020 - penarth-dock.org.uk - all rights reserved - web design by Dai the Rat