Penarth Dock, South Wales - 150 years - the heritage and legacy  
Penarth Dock, South Wales - the heritage & legacy . . .

Volume Six - Pre-Victorian to the Present Day - Select Aspects - Crossing the River Ely . .

1883 - 86 - A view of the p.s. 'Kate' at the Kymin, Penarth Beach.

1883 - 86 - A view of the p.s. 'Kate' at the Kymin, Penarth Beach sometime during the summer months when the service was extended to include the pier head, Bute Docks, Penarth Dock and this location known as the Kymin. The location was close to the 'Kimmin' farm, which begat the Kymin House around the turn of the nineteenth century and was rebuild in the 1870's. There doesn't appear to be too many visitors taking advantage of the ferry service on this trip!

Many thanks to David Ings and with credit for the photograph and contribution to Angela Coslett. Have look at some of David's great publications including 'Penarth Trough Time', 'Penarth History Tour' and 'Penarth - in old picture postcards'. [654] [750]

I agree with David that the vessel at the Kymin is the second of the double ended paddle steamers named 'Kate', a steel hulled vessel of 99 tons gross. Upon delivery the original iron hulled 'Kate', built in 1865, but which served the Penarth Ferry service from 1867 to 1896, became the relief boat. The new 'Kate' was owned by the Cardiff and Penarth Steam Ferry Co. Ltd. and remained in their ownership until the company was somewhat prematurely sold up in 1896. It seems that the decision for the sale was the proposal to build the subway under the river Ely. The other factor was that many of the workers employed at the Tidal Harbour and Penarth Dock had moved from the Grange and other parts of Cardiff to settle in Penarth. [154]  [20191103]

© 2014 - 2019 - penarth-dock.org.uk - all rights reserved - web design by Dai the Rat