Penarth Dock, South Wales - 150 years - the heritage and legacy  
Penarth Dock, South Wales - the heritage & legacy . . .

Index to Volume Seven - The People - Dock Family Trees - Engineers, Artisans & Doers . . .

Peter Thompson (c.1815-1867) cont'd.

The other undertakings in which he took a prominent part consisted of the execution of the Mountry House and Aspull Moor intermediate reservoirs between Liverpool and Rivington ; the " short line " from Bradford to Leeds ; extensive railway works in the town of Leeds for the London and North western, the Leeds and Dewsbury, and the Midland Companies ; the Midland railway between Whittaker and Nuneaton ; the Newport, Abergavenny, and Hereford line, 32 miles in length ; a portion of the South Wales railway between Newport and Swansea; the railway across the bay at Fleetwood ; the Newport docks ; a portion of the Penarth docks, Cardiff, with a line to the mineral districts ; the Edgehill and Bootle branch of the London and North-Western railway ; the Canada Dock Station, and the extensive warehouses there ; the Aintree and Bootle branch of the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway from Fazakerley to the North Mersey Station in Regent Road ; the Brunswick Station at the south end for the Cheshire Lines Committee; the completion of the Edgehill and Garston line ; the railway between Huyton and St. Helens, through Prescot ; the greater part of the new line from Sheffield to Chesterfield; the erection of the Leeds new station, a work which was commenced in 1867 ; and the building of a railway upon arches through that town for the North-Eastem Company.

Mr. Thomson became joint proprietor with his brother of the extensive ironworks at Normanton, now under the control of a limited liability company. Some of his last works were the erection of the new station, grain warehouses, and other building operations in Wakefield ; the new stations in Halifax and Bradford, and the widening of the Barnsley branch railway into a double line for the Lancashire and Yorkshire Company. Mr. George Thomson died at Cheltenham in 1867, and after that event the responsibility cast upon the shoulders of the younger brother was of a still more onerous nature. The great practical knowledge he possessed was widely recognised, and he was frequently consulted on difficult points by some of the most eminent engineers. On becoming a director of the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway Company he retired from business. Though having ceased participation in the undertaking, he retained an office at the Bankhall Works, and regularly visited it up to the time of his fatal illness.

Mr. Thomson joined the Volunteers at the commencement of the movement. In I860 he was a captain in the 2nd Administrative Brigade, composed of the 12th and 17th Lancashire Artillery Volunteers; he was afterwards promoted to the rank of major, and on the 25th of May, 1861, he received his commission as lieutenant-colonel commandant of the battalion. He became a candidate for the representation of St. Paul's Ward in March 1871, but was defeated by a small majority. The Council, however, loth to lose such a valuable man, elected him an alderman on the 19th of the following month. He proved himself a most useful member of the Corporation, as chairman of the Works Committee of the Water Committee, while the aid which he gave in the investigations of the Special Committee with reference to a new water supply was equally advantageous to the Corporation. He was also for some time on the Health Committee. As a fitting reward for his unremitting labours on behalf of the town he was elected to the office of chief magistrate of Liverpool by the unanimous voice of the Council on the 9th of November, 1875. He died on the 13th of May, 1876, shortly after a visit to London at the head of a deputation for the purpose of inviting the Royal Agricultural Society to hold their next Show at Liverpool.

Mr. Thomson was elected an Associate of the Institution of Civil Engineers on the 2nd of April, 1867. He was besides connected with other scientific and public bodies, and was a J.P. for the county of Lancashire.

<< previous page <<
   
© 2014 - 2022 - penarth-dock.org.uk - all rights reserved - web design by Dai the Rat