Penarth Dock, South Wales - 150 years - the heritage and legacy  
Penarth Dock, South Wales - the heritage & legacy . . .

Volume Nine - Pre-Victorian to the present day - even more aspects - More Moments Captured in Time . . .

'The Marchioness' & 'Success' - Cardiff Docks.
P.S. 'Success'
P.S. 'Success'
P.S. 'The Marchioness'
P.S. 'The Marchioness'

◊ 'The Marchioness' & 'Success' - Cardiff Docks - A postcard view dating from 1890 - 91 of steam vessels in the entrance channel to Cardiff Docks. The sea-gates of the Mountstuart dry-dock, together with a steamer under repair within the dock, can be seen at the opposite shore. Another heritage record from the Penarth Dock Collection - [001] [20190513]

P.S. 'The Marchioness' -   see two images directly above - A note attached to the postcard states : 'As originally built with one fat funnel. Later fitted with two thin ones.' She was one of the paddle steamer-packets running between Cardiff and Bristol or Portishead (Portshead) between the years 1889 and 1913 being operated by (Sir) William T. Lewis of Cardiff. Built at Chepstow in 1888 by E. Finch & Co. she was the last of the Cardiff - Bristol packet steamers. The need for a second funnel, fitted aft of her paddle box, was due to the fact that a second boiler was found necessary for efficient operation of the vessel. She was 160' - 1" in length, 22' - 2" breath with a 9' - 1" depth and of 262 tons gross (119 tons net). She was sold to owners in Holland in 1913 but what became of her seems to be shrouded in Bristol Channel mist! [154]

The lower image is borrowed from the fine book 'West Country Passenger Steamers' ; the photograph is credited to John York and is of the 'P.S. The Marchioness (1888) - Passing Rownham Ferry, Bristol.' [154] (complete with her two funnels!).

Sir William Thomas Lewis of Cardiff ran the the Cardiff, Bristol and Portishead service between the years 1887 and 1912 on behalf of the Bute Docks Co. Ltd., with whom he had had a half-century long working relationship. Sir William was christened " The Bismarck of South Wales " by the Shipping World periodical in 1894. They said of him, regarding the Cardiff Harbour Trust : "Sir William Lewis is a shrewd man, and though possibly more after the manner of Bismarck than Metternich, a capable diplomatist as well. . . " Sir William was afforded the honour of being awarded the 'Freedom of Cardiff' in 1905.

P.S. 'Success' - seen in the foreground - Another iron-hulled paddle-steamer running the Cardiff and Bristol or Portishead service during the years 1887 to 1898 and also owned by (Sir) William T. Lewis of Cardiff, however, 1898 spelled the end for her and she was broken up that same year. Built in 1863 by Hepple & Co. at Low Walker on the Tyne, her vital statistics were 91' - 0" long x 17' - 9" breath x 9' - 2" depth and she was of 94 gross tons (28 tons net). [154]

© 2014 - 2019 - penarth-dock.org.uk - all rights reserved - web design by Dai the Rat