c.1860 - The entrance to the Cogan Pill on the opposite bank of the River Ely the intended entrance to the proposed Ely Dock. Imagine the complexity of turning vessels into the entrance lock against the flow of the river and with a crosswise wind direction acting upon the ships and its sails! Above the Pill is the Cogan Pill House of the Corbett family with the Cogan Pill Farm to the right. The sheds are probably those of the first of Mr George Cooper's boat building yards.
[599] [20171215] [Glamorgan Archive Ref: DXJF/64/16]