◊ Cwtsh-y-Cwm - A section of 1830 OS map in the vicinity of Penarth Head. Cwtsh-y-Cwm (Cwtch-y-Cwm) is the pill (or inlet) close-by the Penarth Head Inn. The pill was sheltered from the prevailing winds and at the head is the Pilot's House. The schooner 'Six Brothers' was built at the boat-yard of Charles Cooper within the pill during the years 1857-58. The pill and boat-yard were lost when it became incorporated into/under the waters of the Penarth Dock during its construction. [010]
◊ 1860 - The Building News and Architectural Review Periodical [547] [716] reported:
The Penarth Tidal Harbour was opened in 1859, and is situate south-west of the entrance from Cardiff Roads ; and Penarth Dock previously mentioned as in the course of construction, will be on the site of Pilot's Cottage and Boat-building Yard, north-west of Penarth Head. The increasing size of shipping, affecting Cardiff as well as other parts, induces proprietors to build docks well out of the main. The probable cost of this dock will be £200,000 [equivalent to c.£24.9m in 2020], area about 15 acres.