◊ 1941 - G.W.R. - Penarth Dock and Harbour - Plan of Dock - of 'Increased Accommodation for Government Requirements' - WWII.
The South Side of Main Dock - Tip No. 2 plus new weighbridges. This double width stone pier structure was originally conceived by John Hawkshaw from the outset with two fixed tips to load a vessel simultaneously. In 1893 the original wooden structures were removed and a single steel tip built by the Armstrong Company was installed which was in service until 1927 when the tip was upgraded with a increased capacity to handle the new 20 ton coal trucks introduced by the G.W.R.
The lower photograph is taken from the 'Passat & Pamir at Penarth Dock - A Photo Album - 1948 - 1951' chapter and shows the tip still in place almost a decade later.
The original plan is held at the archive of the National Museum of Wales. [Museum item number : 88.81I/6] [629] [20190825]