Penarth Dock, South Wales - 150 years - the heritage and legacy  
Penarth Dock, South Wales - the heritage & legacy . . .

Volume Ten - Pre-Victorian to the Present Day - Even more aspects - The Lloyd's Register at Penarth Dock . . .

s.s. 'Levant'

 

The s.s. 'Levant' was a 3 masted, general cargo vessel being 209.9 ft. long x 28.7 ft. breath x 16.3 ft. depth with a gross register tonnage of 737, net 473 tons and completed in November 1865. She was built at the West Hartlepool yard of Messrs. Denton, Gray & Company whom for a time also owned her.

She sailed from Penarth Dock at about 4.30 p.m. on the 24th March 1888 bound for Oporto with a cargo of 925 tons of coal, 73 tons of bunker coal and a crew of 15. Thomas Hall, a Bristol Channel pilot, left her 1½ miles NNE of Breaksea after which she was not seen again.

The following lives were lost:

Bryce, J, fireman, Jarrow
Clement, W, able seaman, Aberavon
Fawcett, George, able seaman, Cardiff
Fleming, T, 2nd engineer, South Shields
Ford, G, steward, Felling
Henderson, J, fireman, Jarrow
Hepplewhite, J, chief officer, South Shields
Jacobs, John, able seaman, Cardiff
Kellups, P, fireman
Kift, John, boatswain, South Shields
O’Hara, J, donkeyman, Jarrow
Rainars, B, able seaman, Cardiff
Robinson, JH, chief engineer, Jarrow
Spendiff, P, 2nd mate, South Shields
Youngberg, William, master, Blyth

Many thanks to Hartlepool History Then & Now website for the above information. [840]

Subsequently the Board of Trade Inquiry [811] issued the following report: -

 
 
© 2014 - 2022 - penarth-dock.org.uk - all rights reserved - web design by Dai the Rat